5 Reasons Why Monthly Goal Setting Works
I have stumbled on a very successful method of goal setting that is working extremely well for me – just have to share it!
It’s the last day of the month today (and the last day of the financial year for NZ – yep I’m an accountant!). On the last day of the month I now do something that I have never done before.
I stop and review the past month’s goals.
In the past I haven’t been that great at setting AND achieving yearly goals. You know how it goes – we get really keen on 1st January and by February we have thrown in the towel.
This year was going to be different, so I had to come up with a better strategy.
What is my strategy?
It’s a evolving strategy – so far I have:
- stopped drifting
- gained vision
- and now -I am setting monthly goals – because you can only eat an elephant one bite at a time, right?
I call it my monthly game plan – the words “game plan” sound far more exciting than “goals” – don’t you think?
Every Monday I track how I am doing in my Bullet Journal. Then at the end of the month I have a review meeting with myself.
Here are 5 Reasons why setting monthly goals is working for me:
- It is easier for me to achieve bite sizes goals than big yearly ones – stops the feeling of being overwhelmed
- It creates regular positive feedback in my monthly reviews
- Monthly goals reduce discouragement
- Creates momentum – they say that success begets success
- Keeps goal setting fresh – it’s feels more exciting to be starting new goals every month
I would love to hear what your strategies are for achieving your goals – please leave a comment below: