Top 10 verses to keep you feeling positive
Keeping myself positive is a full time job!
There are so many negative influences that can easily overwhelm us –
…news we watch on TV or read in the newspaper
…our friend’s confiding in us
…moaners and groaners on facebook
…our own negative mindsets!
We have the power to free ourselves from negativity.
It doesn’t have to be the default mode of our mind. We can change our thoughts.
A man (or woman) is what he thinks about all day long – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Conditions are created by thoughts far more powerfully than conditions create thoughts – Norman Vincent Peale “The Power of Positive Thinking”
One way is to have a Top 10 Positive Verse List.
Use it to counteract the negative in your life.
- “Be still and know that I am God” Psalm 46:10 – this is my go to verse this year – especially since my One Word for 2016 is PAUSE. It’s good to pause and remind ourselves of Who is the real centre of our lives and the universe.
- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made known to God.” Philippians 4:6 – I am continually working on this one. Isn’t it amazing to consider that we never, ever have to be worried about anything? That’s positive 101 right there.
- ” Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.” Proverbs 18:21 – ah the old tongue – it’s far more powerful than we realise. If we want to live positive lives we have to stop saying negative things – pretty simple really.
- “The Lord is the strength of my life…in this will I be confident” Psalm 27:1,3 – confidence and positivity go hand and hand. But I think if we think positive thoughts then confidence is the result.
- “In this world you will have trouble, but take heart! I have over come the world.” John 16:33b – It is freeing to know that we were not promised a life with no problems. We were promised to be connected to someone who has overcome every problem that we will ever face. It’s like having our very own personal mentor that we can take with us everywhere for the rest of our lives.
- “..a glad heart has a continual feast [regardless of the circumstances]” Proverbs 15:15b – another version says (ERV) “Life is always hard for the poor, but the right attitude can turn it into a party”. This is a good reminder that we have the power to change our attitude. We can make our hearts glad. Even when life is tough. Norman Vincent Peale encourages his readers to develop the happiness habit. He says that it is simply practicing happy thinking. Reject a unhappiness thought and substitute it for a happiness thought. Begin your day – the moment you first wake up – with a happy thought.
- ” This is the day which the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it” Psalm 118:24 – Here’s the happy thought to start everyday with.
- “What is impossible with men is possible with God” Luke 18:27 – God is the creator of heaven and earth. Most negative thinking for a Christian is forgetting that basic fact – God is God and we are in his camp. If He has given us a task – it will be possible to start, complete and enjoy it!
- “I came that they may have and enjoy life and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows)” John 10:10 – we are suppose to be enjoying our lives. Notice the source of the joy though. It’s not the TV, circumstances, people or your job – it’s Jesus.
- “If God be for us, who can be against us?” Romans 8:31 – no answer to this question. That mistake you made does not have the power to ruin your life. The grief you are going through right now – it will pass and can make you into a stronger sweeter person. Nothing is against us. Obstacles and issues are just stepping stones that step us up not set us back.
I would love to hear how one or more of these positive verses has helped you – feel free to make a comment below and please share this with your friends – you can do that on Facebook or send them the link to this page.